What should we do to be a Quality Audience?
There are many things each person can do (including teacher!) to be part of a quality audience. These are some ideas from the Working Party; children will be able to suggest many of these with a bit of encouragement:
- Face the person talking
- Make eye contact
- Be respectful in manner
- Show positive body language - sit still, nod, lean forward
- Respond - paraphrase, lead on from (piggy backing), ask questions, make alternative suggestions
- Always respect what someone offers, even if you disagree
- Take turns and do not interrupt
- Celebrate - congratulate
- Always appreciate things even if someone is not right
- Learn how to be a critical friend and how to respond positively
Why not create a collaborative poster of these rules and ask the children to 'sign up' if they agree to it?
To help, here is a PowerPoint presentation about Quality Audiences -you can download and adapt it.